Friday, September 5, 2014

New PR's in races and love!

Ok so I've been super MIA for the last few months.
And with really good reason. 
That handsome boyfriend I always talk about is now my handsome fiance!!

A few months ago, Josh was coming down to spend Memorial Day weekend with me. I was originally planning on running the Elizabeth River 10k to attempt to get a better time for my corral placement at the Wine and Dine, but at the last minute, I changed my mind and dragged my running buddy to the Chick-fila 5k and 10k at the Mariners Museum. I was still plagued a little bit by my knee and ankle, but I wasn't going to let them bother me and I had all intensive purposes of getting to the PR that I wanted. 
Sadly, I did not make my goal time for the Wine and Dine but I did managed to set a new PR of 1:19:06. (12:44 pace) That's a few seconds off my time from the Wicked 10k back in October. Which is weird because I felt better running wise in October. 

Since we hadn't been running much lately we were opting for a 4:2 combo. Of course we got race day excitement and decided to run the first mile or two and see what happened. The first mile was great. Flat and Fast. It was after that, that things started to fall apart. The course switched to a half gravel/half paved hilly road. Oh, and it got hot. Not a good combo. So we made it to Mile 2.5 and switched to our run/walk combo. We kept up what I thought was a decent pace, but it got hot out, and I think we were just physically not prepared! Story of my life lately. Mentally I was in the game, and just kept pushing. And my trusty side-kick was also trucking along with me! So I didn't make the 12:30 pace time I was hoping for to get a better corral placement at Disney, but a PR is a PR so I'll take it!!

Now onto the good stuff!! 
Josh had driven down the night prior but had already told me he wasn't running the race with me. He said that since I had Gineff with me, he knew I would be ok. I can't blame him. He didn't get to VA till after 1am. I wouldn't want to get up that early either. 

Turns out - he didn't sleep in. He got up right after I walked out the door and drove to my parents house to ask for my hand in marriage. Such a gentleman! And he also knew that I really wanted my Grandmother's engagement ring. She was someone who was beyond words special to me, and it would just mean a lot. He assumed that he would do a slight of hand with the ring somewhere later down the line when my sister could retrieve it from my Mom, but no Mom took him right to the bank/vault and gave it to him that morning. 

It must have been burning a hole in his pocket because when I walked in the door from the race, sweaty and hands full of my race stuff, the ring was sitting on the chair in the doorway waiting for me. I was all confused because you don't normally see diamond rings sitting on chairs when you walk in the door from a race! But I turned around and there was Josh, all nervous and sweaty (the garage was hot!) asking me to marry him! Of course I said yes!! 

So I've been missing in the blog action because I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that I'm getting married, planning a wedding, wrapping up the school year, and still recovery from whatever injuries that have been plaguing my ankle and knee. 

But I promise to have more to write about soon. 
I can finally get back out there and run....just a little but still ....it's running. 
Plus I'm broadening my horizons and going to different classes at the Y. 
I just tried yoga for the first time last week!! Awesome!

*****So I am finally getting around to posting this...because I finally have more time to write - or at least I hope I do.

I've got a bunch of races coming up so I'm planning on writing all about them!!

Plus I have made some significant gains in my running so I'm happy about that too!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment