Thursday, February 27, 2014

Wicked 10k - October 2013


Wicked 10k 
October 25th, 2013


So, I only noticed this when I uploaded the picture - that it doesn't have the date on it like it usually does. Hmmm I wonder why. 

On to the race review- 

Like I've stated earlier, when my running buddy has been unavailable to run with me, my boyfriend Josh has earned plenty of good boyfriend points by volunteering to run with me. He could easily speed off ahead of me and get himself some PR's - but no - he happily trots along side of me listening to me complain/wine/chatter on about the race. 

Like it seems like for most of my J&A races lately the weather was not on my side. I can't even remember what the actual temperature was, but I do remember it being cold! Cold enough that the night before I went out and bought some new running pants at Target. That morning I got all bundled up - Josh sported his race shirt and shorts (apparently cold temps don't bother him). I probably should've followed him because I was sweating by mile 2. I de-layered and we kept running right along. Thankfully there was no wind/or it was at our backs so the race was really enjoyable. I'm a big fan of J&A races because they are generally flat and run by the ocean. Growing up on Long Island I'm a big fan of the water. For me it's a very calming thing. I just feel better near the water. There's just something about looking out and not being able to really see the end....and the smell. Reminds me of home. But I digress.....back to the race. We stopped somewhere around mile 4-5 because like usual I drink way too much water at the stops, and had to go. Josh was waiting outside being a gentleman and holding my stuff. Someone even passed him and thought he had already finished and was just making his way back to watch...what a trooper. Because if he had run at his pace - he would've been done. So for the last mile or so, Josh continued to hold my stuff and we made our way back to the convention center. (Where the start and the finish were located.) They moved it last year due to Hurricane Sandy, and this year there was some issue with the sand. I'm not going to lie - with the cooler temps I'm a fan of them having the after party indoors. 

We finished!! And I got a new PR!! And technically a PR for Josh too since this was his first 10k! 1:19:38 - A 12:51 pace. While still slower then I want my miles to be - I'll take it! I probably ran 3-4 times between the crawlin crab to the wicked. So even for my lack of running I was happy with my time.  That time isn't going to cut it for the Princess though! I've got to get some serious miles under my feet!!

Overall its a fun race. Especially all the costumes. While I chose to wear a new "wicked" (spiderweb) running skirt my sister made for me - I am a fan of all the creative things people run in! 


Josh and I at the finish line party. 
If it wasn't for him, I probably wouldn't have run this year, or gotten my new PR!!



Up next.....a quick review of the Surf-n-Santa 10miler!!
Because in 14 days.....Shamrock Dolphin Challenge!!! (I just saw the new medals and I can't wait!! I LOVE the bling!)



0 comments:

Post a Comment