Saturday, April 6, 2013

Monkey Chow?? For the Monkey's of course!!

Last week before Spring Break my school hosted a silent auction bake sale. I didn't have a ton of time to bake an elaborate dessert like I normally would, so I kept it simple and decided to make some Monkey Bread Muffins. If you went to Kutztown with me, and had the pleasure of living with Abbey, you knew her Mom made the most amazing Monkey Bread. So my challenge was to come somewhere close to Peg's recipe. After spending quite some time on Pinterest I found a simple recipe that wouldn't take me too long.
This is the blog that I found the recipe on Bits of Balance - Monkey Bread She does a great job of giving a play by play and pictures to show you each step.

Here's my breakdown and the recipe.


Monkey Bread Muffins Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins
Adapted from All Recipes
Ingredients:
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 (12 oz) cans refrigerated biscuit dough (I used the buttermilk flavored)
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 2 teaspoons water

Here is a picture of my process. It was actually pretty fun to roll the pieces of dough in the cinnamon sugar. 
(Please forgive my messy counter. Small apartment = little to no counter space.)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 12 muffin cups with paper muffin liners.
  2. Open the biscuit dough and slice up into little biscuit cubes. It is up to you as to how big or small you want them to be.
  3. Combine the cinnamon and white sugar in bowl and roll the biscuit cubes in the mixture. Divide the coated cubes among the muffin cups.
  4. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, water, and butter. Allow the mixture to boil. After about 2-3 minutes, the sugar should be dissolved. Remove the mixture from the stove top and spoon it over the muffins.
  5. Place the muffins in the oven and cook for about 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
  6. Enjoy!!
 This is the brown sugar, butter and water combination melting away on my stove top. It looked so gooey and delicious!


My creations getting ready to bake away in the oven and make my apartment smell yummy and delicious. 


The finished product. While I'm sad to report that they were not as gooey and delicious as the Monkey Bread I remember from my days at KU enjoying Peg's Monkey Bread, but they were still very yummy and helped raise some money for a good cause at school. 
I think next time I will be trying a few different recipes but it's nice to know that this one can be a quick go to and made for a yummy breakfast. 


ENJOY!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment