Friday, April 4, 2014

Birthday Race!


Annual Birthday 5k
Sandy Bottom Park

Last year on my birthday, my running buddy and I ran a 5k down at the ocean front. It was also when I started my blog. Granted I haven't been the most pro-active blogger  - but I'm trying. 
This year she asked me if I wanted to run another 5k around my birthday again. I happily agreed as it looks like we might have a new tradition on our hands! 

Since it was my Birthday weekend my boyfriend came down from Pennsylvania to celebrate. 
Saturday morning we made our way to  Sandy Bottom in the rain to go run a 5k that raises money to support childhood cancer. It is honor a local child who lost his battle a few years ago. 

In all honesty, if my running buddy wasn't going to be there Josh and I would've happily donated our race entry fee and rolled over and gone back to sleep. It was a chilly, rainy morning and the course was a trail run. Two of my least favorite things! Rain and mud!

But off we went.....it was just 3 miles - I could easily cough that out. 
Since Gineff was running with me, Josh took off on his own. While I know he loves to run slow with me, somedays he likes to run at his own pace.  I'm not sure if it was planned that way but the course was an easy out and back. It was nice to see Josh on his turn around. He was even a trooper and waited the extra 15-20 mins till we finished. 

It was not a chipped time race but we ran the whole thing - through the mud puddles. At one point I had to give up and just go right through the middle of it. Yuck! It was a good thing I wore my old sneakers....I was a wet muddy mess. Yuck, yuck, yuck. I am not cut out for mud. There isn't a medal big enough to get me to do anything like the Spartan or the Tough Mudder. Crawl through mud? No thanks! 

While I wasn't a fan of the weather or the muddy course, it was a nice 3 miles with two of my favorite people. A great way to start off my Birthday weekend!!


Next up.......Hot Chocolate 15k in Philly. 
Let's just hope this patella problem I've been dealing with gets better and I'm not sidelined out of any upcoming races!

0 comments:

Post a Comment